Three International Experts Appointed to the Sargasso Sea Commission

On September 21, 2021, the Bermuda Cabinet approved the appointment of three International Experts to the Sargasso Sea Commission, established by the Hamilton Declaration on Collaboration for the Conservation of the Sargasso Sea, signed in Bermuda on March 11, 2014. 

The three incoming Commissioners are the President of The Ocean Foundation, Mr Mark Spalding, former Chief Executive of the Plymouth Marine Laboratory,Professor Stephen de Mora (both re-appointed for a third term), and Dr Ana Colaço, a distinguished deep-sea ecologist at the University of Azores. 

Three International Experts Appointed to the Sargasso Sea Commission Read More

COVID-19 Briefing Premier’s Remarks 22 September 2021

Good Afternoon Bermuda, I would firstly like to extend my condolences and deepest sympathies to the families and loved ones of those members of our community whom we have lost during this outbreak.

All of those who have been so tragically affected by the coronavirus, including those persons in the hospital and at home, remain in my thoughts and prayers.

COVID-19 Briefing Premier’s Remarks 22 September 2021 Read More

COVID-19 Update 22 September 2021

“Sadly, Bermuda has suffered two more coronavirus related deaths,” said Minister of Health, Kim Wilson, JP, MP.  “I extend my sincere condolences to the family and friends of those who recently lost a loved one to circumstances related to the coronavirus.”

 

Since the last update, the Ministry of Health received 4074 test results, and 168 were positive for the coronavirus, giving a test positivity rate of 4.1%.

These results are from testing done on:

§  Sunday: 75 positive out of 1658 results (4.5% positivity)

COVID-19 Update 22 September 2021 Read More

COVID-19 Briefing Minister of Health’s Remarks 22 September 2021

Good afternoon.

I begin my remarks today by offering sincere condolences to the family and friends who recently lost a loved one to circumstances related to the coronavirus. This month we have seen quite a few deaths, and I realise that this is causing unbearable pain for so many families.

I ask everyone to please keep these families in their prayers. As well, keep in our prayers those currently in hospital with COVID-19 related illnesses.

COVID-19 Briefing Minister of Health’s Remarks 22 September 2021 Read More

Ministry of Social Development and Seniors: Coronavirus Exposure at K Margaret Carter Centre (KMCC)

The Ministry of Health’s Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (ESU) is aware of a coronavirus exposure at the K Margaret Carter Centre (KMCC). 

The Minister of Social Development and Seniors, the Hon. Tinee Furbert, JP, MP, shared, “The Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (ESU) has advised that KMCC remains closed until a full risk assessment is completed.” 

“The entire facility has been deep cleaned and we will update stakeholders and the community once we receive additional information from the Department of Health.” 

Ministry of Social Development and Seniors: Coronavirus Exposure at K Margaret Carter Centre (KMCC) Read More

Interruption of Bus and Ferry Service

The Ministry of Transport has advised that bus and ferry service will be interrupted tomorrow, 21 September 2021. 

This evening, the Department of Marine and Ports Services BIU staff sent notice that they will be withdrawing their labour tomorrow due to health and safety concerns at work.   

Last week,  the BIU Bus Division raised concerns regarding health and safety standards in the workplace.  Discussions were held over the weekend and again today; however, there is no agreement between BIU and the Department of Public Transportation (DPT).

Interruption of Bus and Ferry Service Read More

COVID-19 Update 20 September 2021

“Sadly, I am reporting another COVID related death,” said Minister of Health, Kim Wilson, JP, MP. “I am so sorry to hear of another loss of life, and I extend heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of the deceased during this difficult time.”

The Ministry of Health received 5368 test results since the last update, and 155 were positive for the coronavirus, giving a test positivity rate of 2.9%.

These results are from testing done on:

▪          Friday: 124 positive out of 3572 results (3.5% positivity)

COVID-19 Update 20 September 2021 Read More

Garbage Collection Delays Ahead

Waste Management

The Ministry of Public Works advise that due to staffing shortages garbage collection will be impacted over the next few weeks.

The public is reminded that they may deliver household garbage to the Tynes Bay Waste to Energy Facility, which is open daily from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm daily.

The Ministry of Public Works wishes to thank the public for their patience and apologizes in advance for any inconvenience.

 

Garbage Collection Delays Ahead Read More

Casa dos Acores Community Centre Ribbon Cutting

Yesterday afternoon the Acting Minister of Public Works, the Hon. Wayne Furbert, JP, MP, attended the formal ribbon cutting ceremony for the Casa dos Acores Community Centre.  

The Centre will serve as a base for the non-profit organisation and registered charities purpose of promoting and preserving the Azorean heritage and culture in Bermuda and preserving the historical significance and contribution that Azoreans and Azorean descendants have made to Bermuda since the mid 1800s.

Casa dos Acores Community Centre Ribbon Cutting Read More

COVID-19 Update 19 September 2021

The Government of Bermuda is tonight releasing an interim coronavirus update, to keep residents fully informed of all aspects of our current situation. Following tonight’s interim update, a full update will be provided tomorrow evening from the Ministry of Health as scheduled.

Regrettably, the Ministry of Health reports that since the last update on Friday, sadly there have been four (4) additional coronavirus-related deaths.

Coronavirus Statistics:

COVID-19 Update 19 September 2021 Read More

The Ministry of Social Development and Seniors Celebrated the United Nations International Equal Pay Day

The Ministry of Social Development and Seniors joined the global observance of the United Nations International Equal Pay Day. 

“This day, commemorated on the 18th of September, is dedicated to raising awareness and highlighting the global efforts towards achieving equal pay for work of equal value.” said the Hon. Tinee Furbert JP, MP, Minister of Social Development and Seniors. 

The Ministry of Social Development and Seniors Celebrated the United Nations International Equal Pay Day Read More

Bus Service Industrial Action

This evening (Sept. 17), the Department of Public Transport (DPT) confirmed that the bus service has been interrupted due to industrial action taken by the Bus Operators.

The operators raised concerns regarding health and safety standards in the workplace.

The DPT stressed this evening that it considers the health, safety and wellbeing of all bus operators, staff and commuters the highest priority.

Bus Service Industrial Action Read More

Minister Ming Remarks on Recent Stabbing Murder

“I wish to extend sincerest condolences to the family, loved ones and friends of Mr. Duane Gibbons, who sadly was the victim of a stabbing yesterday,” said the Minister of National Security, Renee Ming today. 

Minister Ming continued, “This is such a concerning and tragic death, and I urge anyone with any knowledge of Mr. Gibbons’ murder or any information about his movements or whereabouts prior to his death, to please help his family find justice by coming forward and assisting the Police with their inquiries.”

Minister Ming Remarks on Recent Stabbing Murder Read More

DPT Advises Limited Bus Service

The Department of Public Transportation is advising commuters that bus services have been impacted due to staff shortages. There have been a significant number of cancellations this week, and the current expectation is that there will be additional cancelled routes tomorrow.

The Department recommends that commuters check the latest bus alerts on www.gov.bm/bus-alerts and plan to use alternative transportation wherever possible.   

DPT Advises Limited Bus Service Read More

COVID-19 Technical Briefing Minister of Health’s Remarks 15 September 2021

Good afternoon.

I begin my remarks today by offering sincere condolences to those who recently lost a family member, a friend, a neighbour or a colleague in circumstances related to the coronavirus.

And I ask everyone to keep in your prayers those persons currently in hospital with COVID-19 related illness.

The Ministry of Health received 2949 test results since the last update, and 150 were positive for COVID-19. This gives a test positivity rate of 5.1%.

COVID-19 Technical Briefing Minister of Health’s Remarks 15 September 2021 Read More

COVID-19 Update 15 September 2021

The Ministry of Health received 2949 test results since the last update, and 150 were positive for the coronavirus, giving a test positivity rate of 5.1%.

These results are from testing done on Monday, September 13th.

1 of the new cases is classified as imported with history of travel in the previous 14 days.

The additional 149 new cases are classified as either local transmission or remain under investigation. 

Additionally, since the last update, there have been 14 recoveries and one death.

There are 1083 active cases, of which:

COVID-19 Update 15 September 2021 Read More

Bermudian Status – Section 20B | Government of Bermuda

Notice is hereby given that application has been made to the Minister of Labour, by the following person(s) for the grant of Bermudian status under the provisions of section 20B(2)(b) of the Bermuda Immigration and Protection Act, 1956, (viz: a Commonwealth citizen not possessing Bermudian status, was ordinarily resident in Bermuda on 31st July, 1989; is a British Dependent Territories citizen by virtue of the grant to him by the Go
Bermudian Status – Section 20B | Government of Bermuda Read More

COVID-19 Update 14 September 2021

“It is with a heavy heart that tonight I am reporting another COVID related death,” said Minister of Health, Kim Wilson, JP, MP. “I extend heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.”

The Ministry of Health received 13,125 test results since the last update, and 412 were positive for the coronavirus, giving a test positivity rate of 3.1%.

These results are from testing done on:

●        Wednesday, September 8: 130 positive out of 2977 results (4.4% positivity)

COVID-19 Update 14 September 2021 Read More